Thursday, April 30, 2009

* #13 Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them

1.Ok

2. Create a blog post about your findings. What did you find interesting? Would you use a wiki for information? What are the benefits and drawbacks to finding information this way? What do you like or dislike about using a Wiki? What types of applications within libraries might work well with a wiki?

What i found intersting aout these wikis is that they are able to hold up all the information that you would want on the frontpage of your website. This is something that I have never before seen done for a public liobrary website. It seems as though this would be a quick effiecient way for a library to do a website. They would not have to upload tons of files. They could edit it from virtually any computer. All the files would not be hosted for one website. I myself have used pbwiki to create a wiki in which I have the titles and summsries of books listed by genre. They are not the typical genres (Horror,Romance, Action) These genres are more specfic (Vampires,Complicated Hearts, Action?survival.
It has made my job easier as I do not have to upload the page when I make changes. Before I submitted changes to the webmaster at our library. Now the link on the main page goes to a wiki page I can edit. No middleman.

I think thereARE A FEW DOWNSIDES TO WIKIS. People are sometimes confused with what a wiki is. Seeing all of prompts to edit the page and also asking for the patron to sign in is confuisiing. Patrons don't know that this sign in is for editors only.

No comments:

Post a Comment